BE A LEADER. BE A LIFEGUARD.
People of all ages and backgrounds come to the Y for water safety education, to learn to swim and to meet their health and wellness goals in the pool. Lifeguards are essential to ensuring a safe environment for those individuals.
Lifeguard training and certification at the Y will teach you how to effectively prevent and respond to water emergencies with the American Red Cross lifeguard training. Our courses are designed to equip you with the skills and knowledge necessary for emergencies in and around the water. You will learn how quick response times and effective preparation are vital to being a lifeguard while also understanding the crucial elements in helping to prevent drownings and injuries.
Lifeguard Training Prerequisites:
- Must be 15 years of age.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing using the front crawl and breast stroke.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute 40 seconds (without using goggles).
- Starting in the water swim 20 yards
- Surface dive, feet first or head first to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10 pound object
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.